Saturday, July 02, 2016

10 Questions with No Fun

Hailing from Nürnberg and Berlin, Germany, No Fun is a power trio that plays high energy, fuzzy, pop punk.  The band released How I Spent My Bummer Vacation (Amazon, iTunes) in 2015 and appeared on the great four-way split The Great Thieves Escape II (No Panic Records, Flix Records, BandCamp) earlier this year with Walk the Plank, Such Gold, and Harker.

This interview was conducted via email with singer/guitarist Andreya Casablanca June 8-20, 2016.

For more information on No Fun check out their Facebook and BandCamp pages.


Dave:  How did the band get together?

Andreya Casablanca:  We've known each other since we were in 'High School' but never dreamt of having a band together. I moved to Berlin, the guys live in Nuremberg, and when I came back after a year of studying in California, we all were kind of in a place where we wanted to start something new. And this is how the story went.


Dave:  What’s the story behind the name No Fun?

Andreya:  After said year abroad, I came back very heartbroken and kind of thrown off by what I've experienced - in Germany I had a solid career plan, working really hard all my life. In California I finally realized that creating something and taking my time to be inspired by my surrounding felt so much better and healthier. Coming back to the things I now 'had to do' again, was just totally No Fun. In the beginning, we formed the band around this idea.


Dave:  For those who have never heard the band, how do you describe your music?

Andreya:  Our music surely polarizes hardliners…People totally into Punkrock oder into Garage-Music sometimes are like: Hmmmm what? There are a lot of different styles in our music and our recordings have a polished and still DIY Punkrock sound, so it’s never either / or. I guess it’s Chipmunk-Punk with a Sad Face on it.


Dave:  You were recently featured on the The Great Thieves Escape II four-way split with Walk the Plank, Such Gold, and Harker.  How did you get involved with the project?

Andreya:  It’s Katrin, our lovely booker, who made this beautiful thing happen, and we are very grateful. This summer, we will finally meet the bands and play a little Flix Festival in Germany for a week. I think it’s just really funny because we totally fall out of the Genre-Mix on that split, but it also makes it more exciting and interesting. I will ask the singer of Such Gold to give me a lesson in his vocal style, maybe I can even do a cameo, I am very professional with that - on the last Sass Dragons show I did a forward roll on stage.


Dave:  Do you have plans to tour in support of the new record? What are some of your favorite places to play?

Andreya:  We have a bunch of shows lined up that we planned in advance. Last year was really crazy, so we try to tone it down a little bit, since we also want to work on new material.
We are playing a few festivals and then go over to the states for FEST which Basti and Jens are already wetting their pants about. And generally we like to play anywhere where there's a good mood - seriously that's all that matters.


Dave:  Do you have any specific type of songwriting process?

Andreya:  Probably a really terrible one. Since we don't live in one city we just collect ideas and then we meet and "jam" them out (I don't know if you can even call it jam) and then we get really excited and say things like "AND THEN DO LIKE THIS 'huuu huuuu huuuu huuu'".... yeah but somehow it works really well.


Dave:  What are your thoughts on the music scenes in Nürnberg and Berlin?

Andreya:  I can't complain. I don't have a good idea of how Nürnberg is right now - I guess you can name all the active bands there, which I think is a bummer, but the practice room situation is also really terrible down there. Berlin is flourishing with its micro-scenes and every now and then, someone breaks out of it, like KADAVAR for example. There are a lot of bands and musicians who moved to Berlin or play here frequently so you kind of get to know a lot of people from Europe and everywhere else, too.


Dave:  This is a High Fidelity inspired question. What are your top five favorite bands, albums, movies, television programs, books/authors?

Andreya:  OMG I love High Fidelity. Since I am here all by myself in front of the laptop I will selfishly answer that on my own:

TOP 5 Bands
- T-Rex
- Parquet Courts
- Thee Oh Sees
- Fleetwood Mac
- Ty Segall

TOP 5 Movies
- 3 Women (Robert Altman)
- Now and Then (Lesli Linka Glatter)
- Down by Law (Jim Jarmusch)
- Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff)
- Funny Ha Ha (Andrew Bujalski)

TOP 5 Television Programs
- Mad Men
- Fargo
- Inside Amy Schumer
- House of Cards
- True Detective

TOP 5 Books
- Cather in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
- Fame: A Novel in Nine Episodes (Daniel Kehlmann)
- No Exit and three other plays (Jean Paul Sartre)
- Richard Yates (Tao Lin)
- The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)


Dave:  What’s next for the band?

Andreya:  THE WORLD. No, we're playing a bunch of shows in July and then in October and then we're gonna meet again to discuss future plans and songs :) now we're still riding the wave of our debut album.


Dave:  Any final thoughts?

Andreya:  I want Nick Woods of Direct Hit! to have personal blog, series or whatever, because his Facebook Status-Updates are like one of my favorite things to read every day. you go girl!!!!


No comments: