Tuesday, March 01, 2016

EP Review: 'EP I' by Past Life

Title:  EP I (Broken Circles Records, BandCamp)
Artist:  Past Life (Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, BandCamp, Big Cartel)

Hailing from Brooklyn, NY, Past Life perfectly captures the essence of fuzzed out, slacker rock 'n' roll on their defiant debut EP I.  The EP opens with a veil of ease in the perfect mood setting instrumental "Ojai" a song that opens the record with a lull but it is a good lull.  The track hits that magic spot of relaxed groove before kicking things into gear with the ripping "Sever Your Love."  The EP effortlessly moves from the mid-tempo ("Hate Bloomer") to the high energy rocker ("Losing Every Word") flawlessly.  The sound and feel of this record takes me back to the early 1990s.  I could easily picture a Past Life video playing on 120 Minutes in-between the likes of the Pixies, Nirvana, and Swervedriver.  Yes this music is a throwback but that doesn't mean it's not modern at the same time.  To quote Bryne Yancey from the EP I press release --
The truth is, familiarity doesn’t breed contempt, but rather a welcome warmth. Rock music is just rock music. It just is. Compartmentalize it all you want; at the end of the day, they’re just rock songs. They’re just pop songwriting with hooks and melodies and the amps turned up so loud, if you stand next to one for too long you’ll feel like you’re drowning.
EP I is an outstanding debut from a band that is sure to shine.  I can't wait to see what these guys do next.

No comments: