Saturday, March 12, 2016

10 Questions with Carter Sampson

Oklahoma City singer/songwriter Carter Sampson released her fourth full-length album Wilder Side in January.  The album is a "soul and soft country masterpiece" that harkens back to the days of Patsy Cline with its passion and purity.

This interview was conducted via email February 29 - March 2, 2016.

For more information on Carter Sampson check out her official website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, BandCamp, CD Baby, and ReverbNation pages.

Dave:  When did you first start playing and writing music?

Carter Sampson:  I started playing guitar and writing when I was 15 years old. My dad plays and taught me a few things and I took a few lessons but I am mostly self taught.


Dave:  For those who have never heard your material, how do you describe your music?

Carter:  A little bit country a little bit rock and roll. :) I love being a songwriter and my songs are a very important part of my shows but the sound can change a lot from my solo sets to full band shows.


Dave:  You recently self-released your fourth album Wilder Side.  What’s the story behind the record?

Carter:  I wrote most of Wilder Side while touring the US solo in my RV. It gave me a lot of time to think and write. I knew I wanted to team up with Travis Linville again to make this record because I love Linville’s tone and thought it would add a dreaminess to the record.


Dave:  What made you decide to go the crowd funding/self-release route with this album instead of working with a traditional record label?

Carter:  I love having total control over my songs and my records. Working independently allows me to work with the people that I want to work with resulting in exactly the sound and feel I wanted for Wilder Side. It was also out of necessity and I am so grateful that 200+ people cared enough about this project to get behind it like they did.


Dave:  Do you have plans to tour in support of the new record? What are some of your favorite places to play?

Carter:  I will be touring a lot this spring and summer starting at the end of April, me and Erik the Viking (www.erikthevikingmusic.net) will be touring for several weeks through TX, NM, OK, CO, AR, KS and MN. I just got back from Folk Alliance International, a music conference in KC, and signed a European distribution and booking deal so Continental Record Services will be releasing Wilder Side in Europe in the near future and I will be touring over seas starting Feb 2017. Wilder Side is already no. 10 on the EuroAmericana Charts for March 2016 and it hasn’t even been officially released yet over there.


Dave:  Do you have any specific type of songwriting process?

Carter:  I really don't aside from sitting down with my book and a pen and a guitar. Sometimes a song comes to me quickly and sometimes I work on one for weeks or months.  I’ll take it however I can get it!


Dave:  What are your thoughts on the music scene in Oklahoma?

Carter:  The amount of talent in and coming out of OK right now is amazing. It is always great to go to Folk Alliance in KC and hear people from all over the world talking about the Oklahoma Room being the bests. It’s true and an honor to be a part of it. I’m learning now that people in other parts of the world not only love Americana music but specifically Oklahoma music.


Dave:  This is a High Fidelity inspired question. What are your top five favorite bands, albums, movies, television programs, books/authors?

Carter:  Bands: Sleater Kinney, Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band, American Aquarium, Alabama Shakes, Lyle Lovett and the Large Band


Dave:  What’s next for you?

Carter:  A whole bunch of shows and festivals this spring summer. I also am the founder and director of the Rock n’ Roll Camp for Girls OKC and we are hosting 50 girls ages 8-17 in July for our second summer camp.


Dave:  Any final thoughts?

Carter:  Tour dates and more at www.cartersampson.net, www.cartersampson.bandcamp.com for streaming and downloading Wilder Side.  Thanks so much!!

No comments: