Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Top 5 Songs by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Top 5 is a feature that I apparently can never remember to do (the last one was a year ago).  The gist of this feature is that I put together a list of my five favorite whatevers, but unlike a lot of the other lists that I do, these are limited to five entries. 

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are a ska punk band from Boston, MA.  They along with Fishbone and Operation Ivy, the Bosstones pioneered ska punk in the late 19080s.  The band gained commercial success in 1997 with the hit singles “The Impression That I Get,” The Rascal King,” and “Royal Oil” from their album Let’s Face It.  I first heard the band in 1991 when their cover of Areosmith’s “Sweet Emotions” was played on the show Underground Circus on a community run radio station out of Tampa, FL.  I immediately fell in love.  I eagerly picked up their albums Don’t Know How to Party, Ska-Core, the Devil, and More, and Question the Answers upon their release in 1993, 1993, and 1994 respectfully and also tracked down the Where’d You Go? EP (which included the “Sweet Emotions” cover, along with an excellent Van Halen cover) and their 1992 album More Noise and Other Disturbances (both released on Taang! Records and were tougher to find).  I was lucky enough to see the band when they played at the Roxy (which is long, long gone) in Oklahoma City in 1995 on the Question the Answers tour.  The show was fantastic and included my one and only attempt at stage diving.   

Here, in no particular order, are my five favorite songs by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.  Note:  I’m not including any of the covers that the Bosstones have recorded over the years.  That could actually be its own list. 

For more information on the Bosstones check out their official website, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, and Wikipedia pages.  Also check out my post Favorite Song by the Album: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

1.  “Kinder Words” (from Question the Answers)

2.  “Someday I Suppose” (from Don’t Know How to Party and Ska-Core, the Devil, and More)

3.  “Where’d You Go?” (from Where’d You Go? and More Noise and Other Disturbances)

4.  “They Came to Boston” (from More Noise and Other Disturbances)

5.  “Jump Through the Hoops” (from Question the Answers)

Honorable Mentions –
“Toxic Toast” (from Question the Answers)
“Hope I Never Lose My Wallet” (from Devil’s Night Out)
“Awfully Quiet” (from More Noise and Other Disturbances)
“Illegal Left” (from Don’t Know How to Party)

No comments: