Tuesday, December 17, 2013

EP Review: Under the Mistletoe

Title:  Under the Mistletoe (Fat Wreck Chords, Amazon, iTunes, Interpunk)

Christmas records can be a tricky thing.  More times than not they suck (at least newer ones do), so the fact that I tend to groan anytime I hear about an artist putting out a new Christmas record is understandable.  In fact, I tend to go out of my way to avoid new Christmas records (like that Bad Religion X-mas album which I absolutely refuse to listen to) but I couldn’t help but be intrigued and a little bit excited at the prospect of a Masked Intruder holiday record.  And as usual, Masked Intruder has struck gold with Under the Mistletoe.  This two song EP is classic Masked Intruder complete with way over-the-top lyrics about holiday cheer (and thievery).  Seriously, this band can do no wrong.  If you are a fan of Masked Intruder or pop punk in general, do yourself a favor and get this record! 

4 comments:

Otter Limits said...

Refuse to listen to the Bad Religion Christmas album? Why?!?

That album is one of the best Christmas albums I have heard since the Duvall Christmas album. In fact, it might even be better.

It rocks! It even made #12 on my Top 13 Albums of 2013 list.

Dave said...

For some reason, just the thought of them singing songs about Christmas turns my stomach.

Otter Limits said...

I find it pretty ironic which is part of the appeal. At least to me.

Dave said...

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I like Bad Religion and all but I just have visions of them chastising people for celebrating Christmas or singing about how dumb it is to believe in anything. Granted I'm a firm believer that Christmas transcended Christianity a long time ago, but it just seems weird that BR, a group of strict atheists, would sing about the holiday. It seems insincere but then again I guess it really would depend on the songs that they play on the record (since there are plenty of Christmas songs that have nothing to do with religion).

I'm sure this doesn't make any sense at all but it seems to in my head. lol