Monday, August 19, 2013

Album Review: Leavetaking

Title:  Leavetaking (Red Scare Industries, Amazon, iTunes, Interpunk)
Artist:  Elway (Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm)

Fort Collins, CO’s Elway’s sophomore full-length Leavetaking is an excellent example of everything that is right and good with modern punk rock.  This record is my first exposure to the band (though I have listened to their former incarnation 10-4 Eleanor, not realizing that they were actually the same band) but it certainly won’t be my last because I can’t help but love what I’ve heard.  Now as has been pointed out in other reviews, Leavetaking isn’t breaking any molds or doing anything shockingly new, but honestly who cares?  This record is passionate, honest, earnest, and expertly executed and that’s all I really ask for, especially from a punk record.  The fact is that just about everything that can be done with a guitar, bass, and drums has been done, so to me what matters now is the music’s passion and soul.  Elway’s music has both in spades.  Leavetaking has moments of rousing choruses, dark lyrics, soft melodies, and lots of great hooks making it the perfect record for fans of bands like The Menzingers, Alkaline Trio, The Gaslight Anthem, and Mixtapes.  


No comments: