Friday, May 24, 2013

Album Review: Heartthrob


Tegan and Sara is an indie rock/indie pop duo from Calgary, Alberta, Canada; their latest album Heartthrob is their seventh full-length record.  The duo started making music back in 1995, releasing their first album in 1999, but somehow I completely missed the Tegan and Sara boat until now.  I’d heard of the group over the years but never really heard any of their music.  Then I found an interview on YouTube titled “Tegan & Sara Defend Taylor Swift & One Direction’s Pop Music” and my curiosity was peaked.  The video played a bit of Tegan and Sara’s single “Closer” and then I had to hear the rest of the record.  The single and opening track “Closer” is an excellent dance pop number which honestly should be a huge hit, and perfectly sets the stage for the rest of the album.  From start to finish, Heartthrob is an excellent pop record that should make Tegan and Sara household names.  The songs are fun and honest with hooks that dare you to sit still.  The fact that I went into this record with no expectations was a plus since I had nothing to compare it to (apparently some long-time fans have not been pleased with Heartthrob).  This record is a must for fans of bands like fun., New Order, The Killers, and Depeche Mode.

No comments: