Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Top 5 Favorite Songs by Buffalo Tom

A while back I started doing a series of posts called Top 5 where I would put together a random list of five of my favorite whatevers, but unlike a lot of the other lists that I do, these were limited to five entries.  For whatever reason (probably because I forgot) I stopped doing the series, but I’ve decided to pick it back up again.

Buffalo Tom is a, for lack of a better term, alternative rock band from Boston, MA.  The band was one of the groups that formed in the mid to late 1980s that mixed punk, power pop, and folk, following in the footsteps of Husker Du and Sonic Youth.  This same mini-scene produced the likes of Dinosaur Jr., the Pixies, Teenage Fanclub, and Nirvana.  Buffalo Tom achieved minor mainstream success in 1993 with the singles “Soda Jerk” and “I’m Allowed” from their album Big Red Letter Day.  Since forming in 1986, they have released eight full-length albums, two collections (one a best of and one of b-sides), and contributed tracks to the No Alternative, Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams, and Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks compilations.  The band is probably best known for appearing on the show My So-Called Life.   

Here, in no particular order, are my five favorite songs by Buffalo Tom. 

For more information on Buffalo Tom check out their official website, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, and Wikipedia pages. 

1.  “For All to See” (from No Alternative)



2.  “Taillights Fade” (from Let Me Come Over)



3.  “Kitchen Door” (from Sleepy Eyed)



4.  “Soda Jerk” (from Big Red Letter Day)



5.  “Late at Night” (from Big Red Letter Day)



Honorable Mentions –
Mineral” (from Let Me Come Over)
Sunflower Suit” (from Buffalo Tom)
Tangerine” (from Sleepy Eyed)

1 comment:

RazorSharpSundries said...

My top five are as follows: 1.) Darl, 2.)Birdbrain, 3.)Tailights Fade, 4.) Late At Night, and a new favorite because I only downloaded the album last year: 5.) Renovating from Three Easy Pieces