Tuesday, December 04, 2012

My Current Rotating Top 11

Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows that I love lists.  Since my tastes change a bit from time to time, I like to periodically put together a list of my favorite bands/artists.  At some point along the way I started thinking of bands/artists in what I like to call families.  These families would include bands that are somehow related.  In some cases they are side projects or bands that various members have moved to after a previous band broke up; those are the ones that tend to make sense.  Then there are the ones that on the surface might not make any sense at all because they are bands that I think of together but they aren't necessarily "related" per se.  In one case it is a record label that the bands have in common, in another it is a tour, and another it is just bands that are/were close friends.  There are quite a few bands in a couple of the families (and a few that appear in more than one family) so I will be doing some related posts breaking down each family, trying to explain my train of thought/reasoning behind each one and then I will rank the artists within each family.  This is probably an odd way to think about one's favorite musicians but then again I'm not all that normal.

So without any further ado, here's my current rotating top 11 favorite bands/artists. 

1.  The ALL Family (ALL, Descendents, The Pavers, Scott Reynolds & the Steaming Beast, Goodbye Harry, Drag the River, Chad Price, Stephen Egerton, Down By Law)
2.  The Revival Family (Chuck Ragan, Hot Water Music, The Draft, Chris Wollard & The Ship Thieves, Rumbleseat, Frank Turner, Tim Barry, Avail, The Bouncing Souls, Two Cow Garage, Drag the River, Chad Price, Jon Snodgrass, Armchair Martian, Lucero, Dave Hause, The Loved Ones, The Gaslight Anthem, The Horrible Crows, Kevin Seconds, Billy Bragg)
3.  U2
4.  R.E.M.
5.  The 7 Seconds Family (7 Seconds, Kevin Seconds, Drop Acid)
6.  The Red Scare Family (Teenage Bottlerocket, Masked Intruder, The Copyrights, The Menzingers, The Methadones, Dan Vapid & The Cheats, Noise By Numbers, Kurt Baker, Luther)
7.  The Dag Nasty Family (Dag Nasty, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Embrace, Rites of Spring, Down By Law)
8.  The Replacements/Husker Du Family (The Replacements, Paul Westerberg, Perfect, Bash & Pop, Tommy Stinson, Husker Du, Sugar, Bob Mould, Buffalo Tom)
9.  The Swingin’ Utters Family (Swingin’ Utters, Filthy Thieving Bastards, Druglords of the Avenues, Re-Volts, One Man Army, Dead To Me)
10.  The Falcons Family (Hudson Falcons, Mark Linskey, The GC5, Doug McKean, The Staggers, Riot Squad, Dog Company, The Ducky Boys, Mark Lind & The Unloved)
11.  The Oklahoma Family (Roustabouts, They Stay Dead, Red City Radio, John Moreland, Mike Williams, Euclid Crash, Skating Polly)

And just for fun, here’s a video from two of the artists listed above that lately have me really hooked.


2 comments:

Otter Limits said...

My "rotating" Top Bands right now would be (in no particular or preferential order):

Hot Water Music
The Gaslight Anthem
Descendents
Hudson Falcons
The Bouncing Souls
They Stay Dead
John Moreland
U2
Pink Floyd
Teenage Bottlerocket

I'm probably missing some but that is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Dave said...

THe only band on your list that isn't on mine is Pink Floyd. You sir have great taste!