Saturday, December 01, 2012

Album Review: Poets Were My Heroes

Title:  Poets Were My Heroes (Fat Wreck Chords, Amazon, iTunes, Interpunk)
Artist:  Morning Glory (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Last.fm, Fat Wreck Chords, Wikipedia)

Hailing from New York City, Morning Glory is Leftover Crack’s and ex-Chocking Victim’s Ezra Kire.  The band’s latest album, Poets Were My Heroes, is their sixth release and first for Fat Wreck Chords.  This record is also my first real exposure to Kire’s work (I’m pretty sure that I’ve heard a Leftover Crack and Choking Victim song on some of the Give ‘Em the Boot comps) and admittedly the first time I listened to it I didn’t get it.  I’m sure some of my problem was that I was listening to the record at work and was having a really hard time hearing it.  Now that I’m home and able to give the record a proper listen, I’m intrigued how all over the place it is.  Now don’t get me wrong, Morning Glory is definitely a punk band, but Poets Were My Heroes jumps around from one style/subgenre to another.  Some songs sound like The Pogues (the beginning of “Born to December,” “Care of Me,” “Touch”), some like Swingin’ Utters (“Everything's a Song (To Me),” the second half of “Born to December”), some have hints of melodic hardcore (“Shelter From the Spoon, “Divide By”), some have hints of ska (“March of the Asylum,” “Quemar las Fronteras”), and some are angry political punk (also “March of the Asylum, “Orphan's Holiday” [which reminds me a lot of American Idiot era Green Day]).  The result is a record with some really good songs but lacks cohesion.  Where the record works, it works excellently but the missteps unfortunately hurt the flow of the record.  With all of that being said, Morning Glory is a tight, tight band and this record is expertly performed with excellent production.  Fans of the band should certainly give Poets Were My Heroes a listen.  

No comments: