Saturday, November 24, 2012

EP Review: Here Comes My Man / Hold You Up

Title:  Here Comes My Man / Hold You Up (Amazon, iTunes, Record Store Day)
Artist:  The Gaslight Anthem (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

Here Comes My Man is the UK version of the EP The Gaslight Anthem released for Record Store Day Black Friday Hold You Up.  “Here Comes My Man” come from the band’s latest album Handwritten.  The rest of the EP consists of three acoustic songs—“Misery,” “Skinny Love” (a Bon Iver cover), and “Hold You Up.”  “Misery” is a soulful and haunting ballad with an excellent harmonic part.  Admittedly I’ve not listened to Bon Iver, so I have no point of reference for “Skinny Love.”  The Gaslight Anthem’s take on the song is dark and somber and recalls Brian Fallon’s other band The Horrible Crows.  If that is what Bon Iver actually sounds like, I may have to give them a listen.  “Hold You Up” continues with the dark atmosphere and also reminds me of The Horrible Crows. 

The Gaslight Anthem is a spectacular band and tremendous songwriters.  This EP is a must for any fan.   

No comments: