Friday, November 23, 2012

Album Review: I Just Want to Play Living Rooms

Title:  I Just Want to Play Living Rooms (BandCamp)
Artist:  Scrap Kids (Facebook, Tumblr, BandCamp, ReverbNation)

Scrap Kids is the one-man folk punk act also know as Curwensville, PA’s Lawson David Bloom.  I Just Want to Play Living Rooms is six songs of (mostly) acoustic tunes that pull from punk, folk, ska, and hardcore.  I’m going to admit that I went into this EP a bit skeptical but any uncertainties I had disappeared once the opening track “Soul Searching” kicked in.  This is an excellent, excellent EP.  So often a lot of folk punk acts get really caught up in their political agendas, so much so that it clogs the music and the listener chokes on the message.  What Bloom has done here is write songs that are obviously social commentary numbers, but he makes them personal and timeless thus letting the message slip in unnoticed (this is not done often but a couple of great examples of songwriters who have been able to consistently achieve this are Dave Smalley and Jesse Michaels).  The entire EP is great but I must admit that “Soul Searching” is my personal favorite track.  The other great thing about I Just Want… is the use of electric guitar on “Sour Notes” and the full-out ska-core explosion of “Brainwashed” complete with guitar and blistering drums.  It’s not often that an artist comes along and really makes a (sub)genre sound fresh, but Scrap Kids certainly does just that.  

No comments: