Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Underappreciated Band Alert: Dag Nasty

One might ask how a legendary band like Dag Nasty could be underappreciated.  Here’s the band that created melodic hardcore (along with Bad Religion), thus influencing slews of bands over the past three decades, so how can they be underrated or underappreciated?  Because they have never gotten the recognition that bands like Minor Threat, the aforementioned Bad Religion, and even NOFX have received.  You can ask any random fan of punk rock and nearly all of them will know who Minor Threat, Bad Religion, and NOFX are, but many don’t know Dag Nasty (I base this on my experience talking to various punk rockers, young and old, over the years). 

Dag Nasty was formed in 1985 by former Minor Threat bassist/guitarist Brian Baker, drummer Colin Sears, bassist Roger Marbury, and vocalist Shawn Brown.  Brown left the band after recording many of the songs that would be re-recorded for the band’s debut Can I Say.  He was replaced by ex-DYS singer Dave Smalley.  Smalley recorded with the band for their debut record, but left Dag Nasty to attend graduate school in Israel.  This left the band in a bind because they were scheduled for a tour that summer opening up for the Descendents.  Peter Cortner replaced Smalley and the band hit the road before breaking up after recording some newer songs for a 7 inch single.  A few months later the band got back together with Doug Carrion, formerly of the Descendents, taking over on bass and recorded their sophomore full-length Wig Out at Denko’s.  The band recorded one more record, Field Day, before calling it a day.  Twice since then the Can I Say lineup has reunited and recorded two albums—1992’s Four on the Floor and 2002’s Minority of One—while the songs recorded with Brown were released in 2010 as Dag with Shawn.  The original lineup will reunite for a performance at the Black Cat in Washington, D.C. on December 28, 2012 to commemorate Salad Days, a documentary about the 1980s D.C. hardcore scene.  Needless to say, I’d love to be at that show! 

For more information on Dag Nasty check out their official website, Facebook, MySpace, Last.fm, Dischord Records, AllMusic, and Wikipedia pages.





6 comments:

Otter Limits said...

I would venture to say that the reason they are not as recognized as these other bands is due to their on again off again status as far as band personnel goes.

Another theory is that their music was not, shall we say, as powerful and affecting as the music of bands like Minor Threat and Bad Religion. That's just my opinion though. Others might find that their music affected them quite a bit.

Dave said...

I think the on again/off again thing didn't help at all.

You could be right on the affect of the music too, but I know that for me personally, Dag Nasty has had a much bigger impact on me than Bad Religion. I like Bad Religion and all but I've never felt that emotionally connected to their music. If that makes any sense.

Otter Limits said...

Really? I did not realize that they had a bigger impact on you than Bad Religion. Bad Religion had a huge impact on me. Then again, I have been listening to them since right after Suffer came out so that stands to reason that I'm more connected to them.

Dave said...

I didn't get into Bad Religion until Recipe for Hate.

The lyrical content of Dag Nasty's music is closer to bands like Minor Threat and 7 Seconds, both of which had huge impacts on my life. I've always liked Bad Religion but I've never felt any deep connection to their music.

Anonymous said...

please remove the photograph of Dag Nasty with the car door. This photograph is copyright protected and is being used without permission and ownership is not properly identified.

Dave said...

Picture removed.