Monday, October 01, 2012

Album Review: These Are the Things I Love and I Want to Share Them With You

Title:  These Are the Things I Love and I Want to Share Them With You (BandCamp, Post Echo Records, Amazon, iTunes)

Pan is a, mostly, instrumental post-rock group from Columbia, SC.  These Are the Things I Love and I Want to Share Them With You is a fascinatingly beautiful record of textures and melodies.  The sub-genre of post-rock is described by Wikipedia as –
a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock musicians often produce instrumental music.
Admittedly, this is my first exposure to the sub-genre but if Pan is any example of the quality of bands playing post-rock, then there are some extremely talented groups out there playing this style of music.  The songs themselves in a lot of ways remind me of scores for movies and television, except the song "Helen and Francis" which reminds me of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Drown."  These Are the Things I Love and I Want to Share Them With You is not the kind of record that you put on when you want to rock out but it is an excellent listen and Pan is a very talented band. 

No comments: