Friday, September 14, 2012

EP Review: Over Slept

Title:  Over Slept (Merch Now, Amazon, iTunes)
Artist:  State Champs (Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, MySpace, PureVolume)

State Champs is a young and energetic pop punk band from Upstate, NY.  Over Slept is a four song EP of melodic pop punk anthems.  From start to finish, the hooks are big and the choruses are bigger daring the listener to not sing along (or at the very least not tap his/her feet enthusiastically to the beat).  All four of the songs on Over Slept are excellently crafted and executed; in fact this EP is surprisingly good.  Generally when I get a press release about a band's new album or EP I listen to a track or two (often there is a track included that is cleared to post or a link to a video or stream on another site to check out).  Usually within the first few seconds of the track I can tell whether or not it is something that I want to check out in greater detail or if it is headed to file 13.  Over the past few months there have been several press releases sent out about Over Slept, and each one piqued my interest.  When the last one was sent out and I downloaded the EP, I had a fairly descent idea of what I was getting myself into but I had no idea that it would be this exceptionally good.  Fans of anthematic pop punk (see The Bouncing Souls, The Ataris, Higley) need to give Over Slept a listen.

No comments: