Sunday, September 16, 2012

Album Review: Midwest Mess

Title:  Midwest Mess (BandCamp, Amazon, iTunes)  

Alone At 3AM is a band that mixes alt country with college rock for a sound that is Two Cow Garage meets The Replacements.  Midwest Mess is an excellent album of heartfelt and earnest songs--some rockers, some ballads, all good.  In his review of Midwest Mess on ninebullets.net, Autopsy IV stated that he thought Alone At 3AM played in the “Colorado Sound” –
I wasn’t even aware that at some point, I’d developed something in my head that I call the “Colorado Sound” until I heard Alone At 3AM and I kept assuming they were from Colorado every time I listened to the album. The band is actually from Cincinnati, Ohio, but their sound was custom made for the quintessential ColoradoAmericana thing” label, Suburban Home, which released their album back in May. 
And he’s right, Alone At 3AM sounds like a band that would be right at home playing local gigs in Colorado, but the fact that they’re not just goes to show that fantastic music can come from anywhere. 

From start to finish Midwest Mess is an excellent record, one of 2012’s best, and one that should please any and all who hear it.  Fans of Drag the River, Two Cow Garage, Lucero, The Replacements, Soul Asylum, and Dramarama need to check out Alone At 3AM.    

No comments: