Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Album Review: Certain People I Know

Title:  Certain People I Know (Count Your Lucky Stars Records, BandCamp, Amazon, iTunes)
Artist:  Certain People I Know (Facebook, MySpace, Last.fm)

Certain People I Know’s self-titled full-length debut is a catchy collection of poppy emo tunes reminiscent of The Promise Ring and Sunny Day Real Estate, with a pinch of indie rock thrown in for good measure.  The band consists of members of Braid and Hey Mercedes who admittedly I’ve never listed to (I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing though going in to this record).  What makes Certain People I Know standout from other emo groups is the dueling male/female vocals by guitarist/vocalist Robert Nanna and keyboardist/vocalist Lauren LoPiccolo.  In fact my only real complaint with Certain People I Know is that the dueling vocals aren’t used on more songs—not that the ones without LoPiccolo’s singing are bad, I just really like the way her voice plays off of Nanna’s.  Overall Certain People I Know is a great full-length debut from a band that has emo down pat.  

No comments: