Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Bit of a Milestone: Post # 5,000


Right here we have the 5,000th post on Oklahoma Lefty.  I started this blog almost exactly seven years ago (the actual anniversary is later this month) with a post about politics.  That subject dominated this blog for quite a long time.  At the very beginning I really wasn’t sure what I was doing so there would be long stretches without any posts.  Eventually I broadened my topics to include religion, books, music, movies, television, and whatever else came to mind.  Things continued in this manner for a few years but them sometime in 2010 my focus started to move more towards music.  Around that same time I really lost any joy I had for writing about politics and to some extent religion (and at this point I tend to only write about religion occasionally in the context of mythology and folklore).  The state of civil discourse in this country is so poisonous and I see positive outcome in trying to fight against it any longer.  I’m still politically active (well, I vote) and follow the news but that’s about it.  In the past three years music has become the driving force behind this blog.  I’m been lucky enough to have interview some amazing artists (and a few of my heroes), review some great records, and have had a lot of fun.  At the moment I’m a bit behind with my reviews but I’m working to get caught up, albeit a bit slowly.  More recently I’ve also become a bit obsessed with writing about comic books.  This is probably because I’ve been reading comics a lot more lately.     

In the past seven years, the posts that have gotten the most traffic have included a couple driven by image searches of Ximena Sariñana and Kate Pierson (there is a picture of each in the posts and the file name is simply their names), my interview with Frank Turner, a post entitled Keeping the Forum Open (which has the third highest number of pageviews, I assume it has gotten that many due to Google searches for open forum or some-such-thing), and my essay for Early Western Civilization class Aristotle vs. Machiavelli (which is one of the first things that appears when you Google Aristotle vs. Machiavelli, Aristotle and Machiavelli, Machiavelli vs. Aristotle, and a few other variations).  That last post has the second highest number of pageviews; it makes me wonder if/how many times it has been plagiarized. 

Thanks to everyone who has read and visited Oklahoma Lefty over the years.  I really appreciate it!  Here’s to the next 5,000 posts… 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! Keep up the great work! CHEERS!

Unknown said...

Congrats on 5000! Keep up the great work! CHEERS!

Scott S. said...

Wow man that's impressive! Let's see 5000 more!