Wednesday, May 23, 2012

10 Questions with Anna Kinder


Anna Kinder is singer/songwriter originally from Perkins, OK.  Her debut EP, The Process, is available online via BandCamp.
 
This interview was conducted via email May 18-22, 2012.
 
For more information on Anna Kinder check out her Facebook, BandCamp, YouTube, MySpace, ReverbNation, and Last.fm pages.
 
Dave:  When did you first learn how to play and write music?
 
Anna Kinder:  I started taking classical piano lessons in first grade, then began playing guitar at age fifteen. It was at this point that music became a thing of creativity for me-- this is when I started songwriting.
 
Dave:  You released your debut EP, The Process, through BandCamp.  What’s the story behind the release?  Why’d you decide to go the BandCamp route to release the EP?
 
Anna:  It's interesting, I actually released it almost two years ago on itunes initially; but unfortunately, the cost of keeping music up on itunes is pretty outrageous for independent, budding artists. It just was no longer worth it, so I took it down. I was selling most of my music at the time in hard copy at shows, anyway. A few months ago, I learned about bandcamp and it is just more artist-friendly. It allows you to set your own price, and I really like offering my album as name-your-price with no minimum charge... I really don't mind if people download it free. I'm not in this to make a profit; I'm in this to share my music.
 
Dave:  Are you currently working on a follow up to The Process?  Any plans for a full-length release?
 
Anna:  I am actually about to begin recording another album over the summer, and it may stretch into fall as well. We are just working at our own pace. I'm honestly not sure if it will be an EP or a full-length album yet-- I definitely have enough new material for an album though.
 
Dave:  Have you gotten any interest from any record labels?  Are there any labels that you’d like to work with?
 
Anna:  I've been speaking with a new local label called Homegrown Records about getting on board, but they are still getting on their feet logistically. I'm curious to see how that opportunity will all pan out.
 
Dave:  What attracted you to become a folk artist rather than a rock and roll artist?
 
Anna:  Funny you ask, I actually fronted a rock band in high school... it was fun, but it was not me. My songwriting, my voice, my classical background, and my love for folk, singer/songwriter music all fuse together to create my sound.
 
Dave:  Do you have any specific type of songwriting process?
 
Anna:  Ha. I pretty much get hit with a wave of creativity and have to fight to get it all on paper before it passes. Inspiration can be fleeting, and inconvenient. Songs hit me in class, in the middle of the night, in my car during rush hour, waiting tables... Often the lyrics to some of my best songs have been written on my server pad from work. I can create under pressure if I absolutely must, but those songs that I have to force are never as good as the ones that just happen.
 
Dave:  What are your thoughts on the music scene in Oklahoma?
 
Anna:  I think it's absolutely wonderful. It's progressing, growing, fresh, collaborative, unique-- so much of our local music really embraces its roots and captures the unsettled, untamed, rich beauty of this state's history.
 
Dave:  This is a High Fidelity inspired question.  What are your top 5 favorite bands/artists, albums, movies, television shows, books/authors?

Anna:  Ahhhh, this is always so hard.
Bands:
1. Sigur Ros
2. Bon Iver
3. The Cranberries
4. Wilco
5. Radiohead
 
But there are so many more than that. I'm bad at choosing favorites.
 
Movies:
1. Stranger than Fiction
2. The Fountain
3. Requiem for a Dream
4. Monty Python
5. Little Miss Sunshine
 
I don't watch much TV to be honest, but I do like The Office and Portlandia.
 
I'll just do authors-- books are too hard!
 
1. Kurt Vonnegut
2. Mary Karr
3. Donald Miller
4. E.E. Cummings
5. Walt Whitman
 
Dave:  What’s next for you? 
 
Anna:  Well, I just graduated college with a degree in English Education; so I'm going to give teaching a try. I will still be creating, writing, recording, and playing shows though... probably forever.
 
Dave:  Any final thoughts?
 
Anna:  I guess none other than that I hope to inspire people-- to create something, anything, and to leave some beauty in the world. I hope to do that through both teaching and through music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. freakingcupcakesandsprinkles
This woman is amazing and so very talented.