Sunday, April 01, 2012

Album Review: Dan Vapid and The Cheats

Title:  Dan Vapid and The Cheats (BandCamp, Amazon, CD Baby, Interpunk)
Artist:  Dan Vapid and The Cheats (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, BandCamp, Last.fm, Wikipedia)

To say that I am a fan of Dan Vapid’s (a.k.a. Dan Schafer) work would be a bit of an understatement.  Like I stated in my review of Noise By Numbers’ latest album Over Leavitt “Schafer is one of those artists whose material I will go out of my way to find.”  I went on to say –
His post Screeching Weasel work, most notably The Methadones, puts his work propping up Ben Foster (a.k.a. Ben Weasel) to shame. I'd go so far as to say that Screeching Weasel's best work (My Brain Hurts) was great thanks to Schafer. For those who aren't convinced, I suggest giving The Riverdales' catalog a long hard listen because it will become pretty self evident that the best songs are those written and sung by Schafer.

Vapid’s latest project Dan Vapid and The Cheats is every bit as good as The Methadones and Noise By Numbers; in other words its f-ing brilliant.  The band’s self-titled debut album is a brilliant combination of Ramones style pop punk, Midwestern punk, ‘50s doo wop, and power pop.  If one was to compare this project with Vapid’s past projects, I think these songs sound a bit more like the songs he wrote/sung for The Riverdales, that having been said, one can easily hear all facets of his previous work and influences on this record.   This is easily one of the best record of 2012.  

2 comments:

Scott said...

Yeah this album rules!

Dave said...

It really does. Hopefully now maybe Mr. Vapid can finally get some of the notoriety that he is due.