Friday, April 20, 2012

10 Questions with Sunday Lane

Sunday Lane is a singer/songwriter originally from Tulsa, OK.  Lane recently released her excellent full-length debut From Where You Are (read my review here).

This interview was conducted via email April 17-20, 2012.

For more information on Sunday Lane check out her official website, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, and Last.fm pages.

Dave:  When did you first learn how to play and write music?

Sunday Lane:  I started taking piano lessons when I was four, and absolutely hated it. Then, when I was thirteen or so, I learned how to play chords and soon after I started writing songs. It was definitely one of those "aha!" moments in life. It just felt right.

Dave:  How has been a classically trained pianist helped/affected you as a pop artist?

Sunday:  Music is interesting, because the simplest things can be poignant and beautiful. You don't have to be an incredible musician to make good pop music, but I think being classically trained in your instrument just allows you to better understand your craft. Being classically trained is a bit like learning a language in a classroom setting opposed to on your own.

Dave:  You recently released your full-length debut, From Where You Are.  What’s the story behind the album?

Sunday:  The album name comes from a lyric in "Light Up" (the sun will only shine from where you are). I liked it as a name for the album because all these songs are dear to me, but each time I listen to them they affect me differently. Sometimes they make me sad, sometimes they make me hopeful. The album is  meant to be taken subjectively from where you are.

Dave:  You are also in the band Thick As Thieves.  What’s the story with the band?  How is it different from your solo work?

Sunday:  Thick as Thieves is a band that my friends started 3 years ago consisting of a rapper, singer/guitar player, and percussionist. The lead singer quit last year, and I jumped on board along with my brother, Max. We've since added a drummer, lead guitarist, and moved the percussionist to bass. It's developing into a rock/hip hop band. It's a really unique sound that I think people will really enjoy. It's fun. It's fun for me cause it's really different from  my solo stuff. I love being a solo artist, but I also like being a part of something that's bigger than me.

Dave:  You’ve had a couple of songs used on the CW’s One Tree Hill.  How did that happen?  Have you gotten a lot of response/interest from people who heard the songs on the show?

Sunday:  My lovely friend, Sasha Jackson, has acted on the show and is good friends with the writer, Mark Schwann. She gave him my EP and he liked it and decided to use it. I got the opportunity to email back and forth with him a bit and he's just an incredibly kind, encouraging guy. One Tree Hill has a super devout following, and it's been awesome being a small part of it. I've definitely noticed an increase of YouTube views, Facebook fans, twitter followers, etc. Which is awesome!

Dave:  Do you have any specific type of writing process?  What are the things that most inspire you to write?

Sunday:  Sometimes, I'll be going through something in my personal life (usually relational) and I'll sit down with the intention to write. It's really therapeutic for me and it helps me sort out my emotions.

But more often, lyrics and melodies come to me at random times. I actually just got off a plane headed to North Carolina (Thick as Thieves is playing here tomorrow). My seat mate said something I found poetic and I got an idea for a song in seat 16C. I sang it into my phone right then and there. I used to be embarrassed about it, but now I'd much rather look like a fool than lose a song idea.

Dave:  How does life in Los Angeles compare to life in Tulsa?  What are your thoughts on the music scenes in CA versus OK?

Sunday:  I think they're both wonderful places. It's hard to beat living a mile from the beach and weather that is quite consistently 72 degrees, but each time I go home to Tulsa it gets harder to leave. There's just something about Tulsa. It's a great place. The LA music scene is interesting because sometimes it's tough to get people excited about small acts like myself when there's such a large supply of world class entertainment available nearby. There's definitely some cool venues though and I've played some really fun shows there. Hotel Cafe was probably my favorite. I actually haven't played much in Tulsa because I didn't start playing shows until a year or so ago and I spend the majority of my time in LA. However, I grew up going to shows in Tulsa and love going to shows when I visit. Tulsa has an awesome local music scene. There's some incredible bands there.

Dave:  This is a High Fidelity inspired question.  What are your top 5 favorite artists/bands, albums, movies, television shows, books/authors?

Sunday:  Ok. Here we go.
Artists:
1) Bon Iver
2) Tegan & Sara
3) Coldplay
4) David Gray
5) Fleetwood Mac

Albums:
1) Rumours
2) For Emma, Forever Ago
3) So Jealous
4) Demolition
5) Parachutes

Movies:
1) The Royal Tenenbaums
2) Best In Show
3) Little Miss Sunshine
4) Wedding Crashers
5) The Beginners

TV
1) Dexter
2) Southpark
3) Grey's Anatomy
4) Breaking Bad
5) Arrested Development

Books:
1) The Sorrows of Young Werther
2) The Hobbit
3) Catcher in the Rye
4) To Kill a Mockingbird
5) Harry Potter

Dave:  What’s next for you?

Sunday:  Well, I'm releasing a music video for "A Little Too Young" early May. Thick as Thieves is going on tour in the fall so I'll be doing that as well as playing solo shows. I also recently started another project with an incredibly talented friend, Jessy Greene. We'll most likely be releasing an EP early fall. I'll send one your way! It's sounding a bit like female Bon Iver.

Dave:  Any final thoughts?

Sunday:  Thanks for sending thought provoking questions! I hope you're having a lovely day.

No comments: