Monday, March 26, 2012

Songs that Capture a Mood: “Jane”

Sometimes a song can perfectly capture a mood or frame of mind.  When you hear that song you can feel justified or encouraged or pumped up because someone out there knows exactly what you're going through.  For me, right now that song is The Loved Ones' "Jane” (official video, lyrics).

I'm sick of feeling like I lost this fight
Sick of graying out the wrongs and rights
I'm pulling out of here to clear my sights
Tonight, tonight, alright, alright

Hear me out baby and dry your eyes
I'd write it out but it would just seem trite
I'm pulling out of here with holy spite
Tonight, tonight, alright, alright

That is how the song opens and I can't tell you how many times lately those lines have resonated with me; so much so that not a day has gone by in the past few weeks where I haven't listened to this song at least four or five times. 

This song seems to be about a relationship in turmoil. 

How could we have known about what was in store?
You never pictured me walk out this door
I guess we didn't know just what we swore
Down at the broke down reservoir

Could we have one more shot for both our sakes?
Can we slow it down and give not take
If you can't forgive me for my mistakes
My heart will break, my heart will break

See I've got my guitar that I can barely play
And I betray a piece of your heart each time I go away
But redemption comes harder when you're choosing not to pray

We can't stay innocent if we just run and hide
No remedy for scars and tears you've cried
My mind would ease if you told me your heart
Won't change if you knew that I tried, yeah

There's a yearning in those words for a better life; a desire for a love that can overcome life's failures.  I can't express how much that hits home with me. 

I'm sick of feeling like I lost this fight
Sick of graying out the wrongs and rights
I'm pulling out of here to clear my sights
Tonight, tonight, alright, alright

Hear me out baby and dry your eyes
I'd write it out but it would just seem trite
I'm out of here with holy spite
Alright, alright

But I've got this guitar and I could never play
Now I've broken your heart, cause I never chose to stay
And my redemption's in ruins, cause you never heard me say

We can't stay innocent if we just run and hide
No remedy for scars and tears you've cried
My mind would ease if you told me your heart
Won't change if you knew that I tried

We just run and hide
All the tears you cried
My mind's a mess 'cause you told me your heart's changed and
You don't know, don't know if I tried
If I tried

The song ends in the crescendo of a classic anthem driving the emotions home with such energy and passion that you can't help but feel pumped up. 

I guess in a way it's not good to find such solace in a song that was obviously born out of some desperate emotions and probably a dark time in the songwriter's life, but I can't help it.  Especially those opening lines

I'm sick of feeling like I lost this fight
Sick of graying out the wrongs and rights
I'm pulling out of here to clear my sights
Tonight, tonight, alright, alright

Hear me out baby and dry your eyes
I'd write it out but it would just seem trite
I'm pulling out of here with holy spite
Tonight, tonight, alright, alright

Every time I hear those words I want to scream them at the top of my lungs.  There are times that I want to write out what’s going on in my head but it comes out as trite and there are times that I simply want to run with all my might.  Obviously I don’t because I love my family and have responsibilities, but this song sure gives me the strength to make it through another day. 

Here in my favorite version of "Jane" that I've heard.  It was recorded in live in Australia.  The song start with Loved Ones' lead singer/guitarist Dave Hause playing solo and then joined by members of Hot Water Music and The Bouncing Souls for the song's finale. 

1 comment:

Scott said...

Wow great lyrics! I can see why this song resonates with you. I think we all can feel something in common with that.