It’s been over a year since I’ve done one of my Rotating Top 20 posts and since my last one my tastes have changed a tad. Also I’ve really become accustomed to thinking of bands/artists in groups (or “families” as I like to call them).
This time around I ended up coming up with a Top 15 instead of 20. Also there are four new families added this time around -- the Revival Tour Family, the Underappreciated ‘90s Pop Punk Bands Family, the Bands that Sound Like They Should Have Been Around in the ’90s Family, and the Oklahoma Family. The last three are pretty self explanatory while the first one consists of artists that have participated in the Revival Tour over the years (and the bands that they have played in). I also consolidated the One Man Army and Swingin’ Utters Families and moved Down By Law from the ALL Family to the Dag Nasty Family (which was an extension of Dag Nasty’s entry last time as an individual band).
1. The ALL Family (ALL, Descendents, TonyALL, Goodbye Harry, Drag the River, The Pavers, Stephen Egerton)
2. The Revival Tour Family (Chuck Ragan, Hot Water Music, The Draft, Frank Turner, Tim Barry, Avail, Dave Hause, The Loved Ones, Jon Snodgrass, Armchair Martian, The Bouncing Souls, The Gaslight Anthem, The Horrible Crows, Lucero, Two Cow Garage, Alkaline Trio, Against Me!)
5. The Replacements Family (The Replacements, Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, Bash & Pop, Perfect)
6. The Oklahoma Family (The Roustabouts, They Stay Dead, John Moreland, Mike Williams, Red City Radio, Euclid Crash, Skating Polly, Mr. Crispy, The Lunch Bunch, Blaster)
7. The Swingin’ Utters Family (Swingin’ Utters, Filthy Thieving Bastards, Re-Volts, Druglords of the Avenues, One Man Army, Dead To Me, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes)
8. The Dag Nasty Family (Dag Nasty, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Down By Law)
9. The Falcons Family (Hudson Falcons, The GC5, Doug McKean, The Staggers)
10. Buffalo Tom
11. The Underappreciated ‘90s Pop Punk Bands Family (Sinkhole, Sicko, Hagfish, Big Drill Car, Gameface)
12. The Bands that Sound Like They Should Have Been Around in the ’90s Family (The Thermals, Great Cynics, Broadcaster, Candy Hearts, Cheap Girls)
13. The Dan Vapid Family (The Methadones, Noise By Numbers, Dan Vapid & The Cheats, The Riverdales)
14. The Red Scare Family (Teenage Bottlerocket, The Copyrights)
15. (tie) The Jenny Lewis Family (Jenny Lewis, Rilo Kiley, Jenny & Johnny) / Ben Lee