Monday, March 12, 2012

Album Review: On the Impossible Past


Title:  On the Impossible Past (Epitaph Records, Amazon, iTunes, Interpunk, AllMusic, Wikipedia)
Artist:  The Menzingers (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

I’ve been listening to The Menzingers’ latest album On the Impossible Past for a few weeks now, not really sure where to begin with my review.  This is the band’s third album and first for Epitaph Records, but I somehow missed out on their previous work.  Hailing from Philadelphia, PA (originally from Scranton) The Menzingers have produced an exceptionally good and mature record in On the Impossible Past.  The songs are catchy and at times roaring anthems played with earnestness and honesty.  There is a passion to this music and The Menzingers have done a tremendous job translating that enthusiasm into a great set of songs.  If you’ve never heard The Menzingers but are fans of bands like The Gaslight Anthem, Red City Radio, and/or Against Me! then I highly suggest you give On the Impossible Past a listen.  

5 comments:

Scott said...

I almost hesitate to admit this but I am not a fan of Gaslight Anthem, Against Me! or related acts. At least not enough to buy their albums. Certain songs I do like and listen to but mostly I am more into other stuff. So the way I feel about this album after having been in to the Menzingers since their last album came out, and then getting into their first album before that, is that here is a really good band playing a genre of music I really can't get into that much. You can tell I had kind of a "meh" reaction to this when it came out by reading my blog post going over my first listen reaction. It's in my blog a few weeks back. Still I'll give this album a spin from time to time. Menzingers are undeniably talented. I hope they don't screw it up by beginning to hate each others guts or something because I want to hear a fourth or fifth release that kind of blends the sounds of their first three together.

Dave said...

I read your post and agree with you on the album cover (it is hideous). I really like The Gaslight Anthem and Against Me's last album (White Crosses; their other stuff is hit or miss).

What are The Menzingers other albums like?

Scott said...

I kind of lack the vocabulary to describe the other Menzingers album but basically it's more of a straightforward style of New Jersey punk. I like the first album best. But Chamberlain Waits has a couple of the best songs. Try "I was born" and "Tasker-Morris Station." Those two are their best songs out of all of them (IMO). Probably the chief difference between this new album and the others is faster tempo and more focus around guitars.

Scott said...

I realized that was ambiguous. What I meant is the older albums have faster tempos and more focus on guitars.

Dave said...

That makes sense. I'll have to give those albums a listen.