Friday, March 09, 2012

10 Questions with Young Readers


Young Readers is the indie folk project of singer/songwriter Jordan Herrera.  Herrera released Young Readers’ debut EP Family Trees on March 6th (read my review here).

For more information on Young Readers check out their Facebook, Twitter, BandCamp, and Last.fm pages.

This interview was conducted with Jordan Herrera via email on March 8th, 2012.

Dave:  Young Readers is essentially a solo project.  What made you decide to play under that moniker instead of your name?     

Jordan Herrera:  Young Readers was originally a two-piece. I wrote a few songs with my friend London and we had plans to keep up with the project, but I wasn't able to commit when I moved to Stillwater to go to school. Now that I'm taking a break the tables have turned, so I decided to see what I could do with the project myself.

Dave:  When did you first start playing and writing music? 

JordanI started playing violin when at the age of three, but I didn't get into writing music until after I picked up guitar in middle school. I started my first band when I was in 8th grade and haven't looked back since.

Dave:  You just released your debut EP Family Trees digitally, with plans for a CD release as well.  What made you decide to release the EP on CD?  Do you have any plans for a vinyl release? 

Jordan:  Releasing a physical copy, I feel, is the next step in taking something seriously. I know CD's are on their way out but I wanted to have something I could put into people's hand. I hope that with CD's I'll be able to reach an audience that maybe might not be aware of the digital release or vis versa. If the funds allow I would like to put out a vinyl later this year. The kids love 'em!

Dave:  Most of the songs on Family Trees are you singing with an acoustic guitar, but other instruments are present as well.  Did you play all of the instruments on the EP?    

Jordan:  Yes. I didn't feel it was necessary to boast in the credits, but I recorded everything on the EP. I had originally planned for London to do backup vocals for some of the songs but she wasn't able to make to the studio in time. Still, I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Dave:  Do you have any specific type of songwriting process?  What inspires you to write? 

Jordan:  My writing process recently reminds me of a packrat. A few times a week I'll think of a good lyric or guitar riff, record it or write it down and save it for later. Then when I have some time, I take out all the pieces and put together the ones that fit; like putting together a puzzle. I'm mostly inspired by the things people say. I probably put a little too much thought into it, but there's a very natural rhythm in the way people speak, I just twist it to make it rhyme.

Dave:  You are heading out for a regional tour this month.  Will this be the first time that you have played outside of Oklahoma?

Jordan:  I've been on the road a few other times with other bands, but it's definitely going to be a different experience by myself. I couldn't be more excited!

Dave:  What are your thoughts on the music scene in Oklahoma?

Jordan:  I love the Oklahoma music scene! It's grown so much in the past few years, and not just up but out as well. The diversity of bands found all over the state is bigger than the selection at Hastings. And no matter what mood you're in, you don't have to travel very far to catch a great show.

Dave:  This is a High Fidelity inspired question.  What are your top 5 favorite artists/bands, albums, movies, television shows, books/authors? 

Jordan:  My top 3 favorite bands will probably always be The New Frontiers, Copeland, and Manchester Orchestra. I've also been listening to a lot of My Morning Jacket and Margo and the Nuclear So and So's lately. I'm a sucker for anything Christopher Nolan puts out. And my favorite movie is The Last Samurai. I haven't watched cable in at least 5 years but I always manage to stay up to date with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've been trying to read more and more, I have a name to keep up with. Haha I've been going through a big classics phase. Right now I'm reading The Invisible Man (Wells) and The Wind in The Willows. I'm always open for suggestions!

Dave:  What’s next for the band?

Jordan:  After this little tour I'm going to take a small break and probably only play a few local shows here and there. I'm sure I'll stay busy with the other projects I help out. The plan is to save up as much money as I can and go back on the road for a couple months starting in July.

Dave:  Any final thoughts? 

Jordan:  Nope! Thanks for taking the time to review my EP! I've enjoyed all of the questions!

No comments: