Thursday, February 02, 2012

Quote of the Day

Hype is helium: the monatomic force that causes a cultural product to exceed its normal boundaries, float upward, and crowd out everything around it. Hype works when an artist or art work hits an already partially exposed common nerve, setting off a mass discussion about issues that go far beyond whatever product started the chatter. Sometimes what's left behind after hype turns out to matter a lot: Nirvana's Nevermind. Sometimes, not so much: Axl's Chinese Democracy.
--Ann Powers in the post Lana Del Rey: Just Another Pop Star

After I wrote my post about pop music and Miss Del Rey the other day, I realized why so many people are put off by her and why the authenticity criticism works.  She originally marketed herself as an indie artist, not a pop artist.  If she had just come out as a blatant pop artist then people would have held any type of expectations of indie credibility.  For example, I really like Demi Lovato and Kelly Clarkson, but I know that they are just pop singers and thus I don't look to them for life changing music.  They put out catchy songs that are fun to listen to with my kids (plus they both can sing).  If I really want to be touched by music, I'm going to look somewhere else.  Had Miss Del Rey set the proper expectations, I doubt people would hate her as much as they do.

No comments: