Tuesday, February 28, 2012

EP Review: I Play for Keeps

Title:  I Play for Keeps (BandCamp)
Artist:  Energy (Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, BandCamp, YouTube)

Despite having been around since 2006 and having released a slew of EPs and one full-length, I have somehow missed Boston’s Energy, and that is a darned shame. 

I Play for Keeps is a superb three-song EP the mixes ‘60s bubblegum pop, with Beach Boys-esque vocals, and Ramones-style pop punk energy.  In a lot of ways I Play for Keeps reminds me of The Odd Numbers’ classic album About Time.  The EP opens with the incredibly infectious “Be My Victimtine” a romantic song about murder (oh how the Misfits should be jealous).  The two other tracks, “I’m Gonna Kill You” and the title track, follow this same pattern of being incredibly catchy, high energy, and peppy numbers about love fueled murder.   

I Play for Keeps is easily one of the best releases of 2012.  If you are a fan of the Ramones, the Riverdales, or The Odd Numbers then I highly suggest checking out Energy.   

No comments: