Friday, November 18, 2011

Album Review: Heart Beats Pacific

Title:  Heart Beats Pacific (Fat Wreck Chords, BandCamp, Amazon, iTunes, Interpunk)

Listening to Banner Pilot’s Heart Beats Pacific is an immediately memorable affair.  The record is extremely catchy, filled with hooks and big choruses and there is something about it that seemed so reminiscent of some other band but I couldn’t put my finger on it.  After listening to the record a few times last night, it hit me – Jawbreaker, this band reminds me of Jawbreaker.  But even then there were elements of some other influence that I just couldn’t put my finger on (my first thought was Blink 182, and that wasn’t meant to be insulting, but that didn’t feel right either).  So this morning when I started looking up information and links about the band and record, I noticed the continued references to Banner Pilot as a “Midwestern style” punk band with references to the likes of Dillinger Four, The Lawrence Arms, and Alkaline Trio and then everything fell into place.  This band is the perfect mix of Jawbreaker and Dillinger Four.  Then I realized that I have no idea how I haven’t heard Banner Pilot up until this point.  

Heart Beats Pacific is an excellent punk rock record that fits somewhere in-between the subgenres of pop punk, emo, and melodic hardcore, so in other words – Midwestern punk (I’d never really put a name to it but the label fits since many of the Midwestern punk bands are similar in style).  The music is catchy and the lyrics are heartfelt filled with stories and emotion.  If you’ve never heard Banner Pilot but are a fan of any of the aforementioned bands or Dead To Me then I highly recommend checking out Heart Beats Pacific, I think you’ll like what you hear.  

No comments: