Friday, November 25, 2011

Album Review: Deep Into Dream

Title:  Deeper Into Dream (AmazoniTunesAllMusic)
Artist:  Ben Lee (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

Ben Lee's latest album Deeper Into Dream is a concept record that is the result of his research into dreams.  While still an indie pop record and very much in the traditional Ben Lee style, this record dark, trippier, and dare I say dreamier than his previous efforts.  Gone are the obvious pop of "Catch My Disease" and "I Love Pop Music" and I have to admit that I am disappointed at their absence but that's not to say that this isn't a good record, just one that has to grow on you.  At least that has been my reaction to it.  I've owned the CD for a few weeks and listened to quite a few times and it's only now on probably the 30th listen that the record is really sinking in. 

The record opens with clips of interviews from dream analysis interviews before launching into the title track, a sleepy track that right off the bat that Mr. Lee is taking things in a new direction.  The album's best moment is the beautifully lush "Pointless Beauty" with "Glue" and "Get Used to It" following close behind.  While this album lacks a knockout song, it is still a good outing that shows a new depth to Lee's music.

No comments: