My good friend Steve at The Otter Limits asked me to put together a list of reasons why I don’t like President Obama. As I worked on the list, it ended up being a bit longer than I originally thought it would be so I decided to turn it into a post.
Now this should go without saying but…this is a criticism of the job Barack Obama is doing as President and not of him as a person. Just like with George W. Bush, I suspect that Obama is a descent enough guy, just a terrible president.
With that in mind I give you the reasons why I don’t like Obama.
1. Power grabs. When the Secretary of Treasury announced that the administration was seeking the power to take over any company that they deemed “too big to fail,” that was the moment that they lost my support. (More here)
2. Too much faith in government. Obama has too much faith in the power of government to correct the problems of the world. Some think that this is brought on by a socialist/communist/progressive desire to destroy the American economic system and replace it with something else. I don’t buy that idea. I think that he is just too naïve and lacks enough “real world” experience to know the difference. Which perfectly segues into…
3. Lack of experience. I’m not talking about lack of experience in
either. I’m talking lack of real world working experience. Obama, based on what I’ve read, has spent most of his adult life in academic settings and community organizing. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but he has little to no experience in the private sector. Instead he has spent all of his time working with academic theories and unfortunately for him, “every theory has its whole when real life steps in.” Washington, DC
4. Signing statements. Like President Bush before him, President Obama has used signing statements to tailor legislation. (More here)
5. The blame game. Obama blames all of the ills of the world and the American economy on others. Never once has he admitted that his policies haven’t worked. Not that this is all that different from how other presidents have behaved, but he has taken it to a new level.
6. Politics as usual. Candidate Obama promised to change the way that things are done in DC, yet President Obama and his administration have behaved exactly like those who have come before him. Nothing has changed other than who is getting their pockets filled. (More here)