Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Top 5 Classic Rock Artists

The term “classic rock” has come to mean a lot of things but originally it referred to bands that came along in the late ‘60s and 1970s, that were not part of the original rock ‘n’ roll movement of the 1950’s and early ‘60s.  For example, bands like Cream, Rush, The Doors, and Journey were considered classic rock while the likes of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Kinks were considered oldies.  Now since a lot of these oldies artists were still putting out records in the ‘70s their music was a significant part of classic radio programming. 

Since that time the definitions of both classic rock and oldies have morphed quite a bit.  At this point classic rock has come to mean just about anything rock ‘n’ roll that was released about 20 years ago (see 94.7 The Brew) and oldies has come to include the likes of Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp (see the True Oldies Channel).  In fact locally in the OKC market, we have three “classic rock” stations (107.7 KRXO, 96.9 Bob FM, and the aforementioned Brew), two “oldies” stations (92.5 KOMA and a TOC affiliate), one rock station (Rock 100.5 the KATT) and one easy listening station (Magic 104.1 KMGL), so there is a lot of classic rock on our airwaves.  Too much honestly. 

That having been said, there are some classic rock artists that I really like, if not love.  Just to clarify, in this case at least, I’m using the term classic rock in its original sense.  Below are my Top 5 favorite all-time classic rock bands.  These are bands that I will pretty much stop and listen to anytime I hear them on the radio.  For fun I’ve also included a video for my favorite song by each band (note: some of these songs were recorded well after the classic rock era on the 1970s). 

5. Van Halen


4. AC/DC


3. Cheap Trick


2. Boston


1. Queen

6 comments:

Otter Limits said...

My list would be pretty close to yours. Mine would only exclude Queen and add Black Sabbath in its place. Not in any particular order though.

Dave said...

I never could get into Black Sabbath outside of "Paranoid" and "Iron Man." Queen however I love. Are you not much of a fan of Queen?

Scott S. said...

I think your list is awesome. I am not that much a fan of late '60s or early '70s classic rock (The Who stands out as a great band though) but after punk rock came along and metal matured somewhat--both things which I think had a positive influence you could hear in "later" classic rock bands like you've named here--then I could get quite into it.

Otter Limits said...

Oh yeah! The Who!! I like them more than Sabbath.

Dave said...

I love The Who but they fall into the category of oldies in my head.

Dave said...

And thank you Scott. I also agree that punk was a big influence on a lot of classic rock bands. In general, I think that the Ramones reminded people of how great simple rock 'n' roll could be.