Monday, October 17, 2011

“For the Bottom”

The following was something I wrote late last night before going to sleep. To give the poem/lyrics a bit of context, a few months ago I started a new job. As it turns out I’m not doing that well and may not make it passed our 90 day review. Last night I had a pretty intense coaching session with my boss and have been sufficiently freaked out and depressed ever since. Lord knows that I need this job and the last thing I want to do is fail, but I’m starting to think that is exactly what is going to happen.

Also when I write lyrics, I often do it to the rhythm/melody of a song that I really like.  At the time I wrote this I had Frank Turner’s “Long Live the Queen” and “Love Ire & Song” going through my head.


“For the Bottom”

It’s hard that moment you realize you suck
At everything you ever tried
It’s so hard to believe
That all your dreams have turned to lies

Found myself face down, not wanting to get up
The defeat of it all making me want to give up
How do you go on another day?
And how do you right the sinking ship?
For the bottom’s about to hit.

It’s those moments when you look in your child’s eyes
And you realize
That the life that they deserve
Is something that you can never give them
No matter what they may have earned

Found myself face down, not wanting to get up
The defeat of it all making me want to give up
How do you go on to fight another day?
Trying to pretend that everything’s okay
And how do you right a sinking ship?
For the bottom this one’s about to hit.

You’ve worked hard, done your best
At least that’s what you thought
But in the end it’s just a scam
And in this hole you’ll surely rot

It’s hard that moment when you realize just how much you suck
There’s nothing left, you’re completely giving up
How do you go on after utter failure?
How do you fix, your own sinking ship?

Found myself face down, not wanting to get up
This time I’ve really given up
How do you fight through another day?
To give your life some meaning, a presence, and a way
You’re the captain on this sinking ship
And down to the bottom you will go with it.

-- Monday, October 17, 2011 12:02AM

No comments: