Sunday, September 25, 2011

Favorite Song by the Album: R.E.M. (the Bill Berry Years)


Now that R.E.M. have called it a day, I’ve decided to cover them in an edition of Favorite Song by the Album.  I’m actually surprised that I haven’t done one of these already for the band.  Like with my Essential R.E.M. and Ranking the Albums posts, I am only including the records released while drummer Bill Berry was in the band. 

Album:  Chronic Town
Favorite Song:  “Wolves, Lower”
Honorable Mention:  “Gardening at Night”

Album:  Murmur 
Favorite Song:  “Sitting Still”
Honorable Mentions:  “Talk About the Passion,” “Radio Free Europe,” and “Perfect Circle”

Album:  Reckoning
Favorite Song:  “(Don’t Go Back to) Rockville”
Honorable Mentions:  “Pretty Persuasion,” “Harborcoat,” and “So. Central Rain”

Album:  Fables of the Reconstruction
Favorite Song:  “Can’t Get there from Here”
Honorable Mentions:  “Driver 8” and “Life and How to Live It”

Album:  Lifes Rich Pageant
Favorite Song:  “I Believe”
Honorable Mentions:  “Superman,” “Fall On Me,” “These Days,” “Just a Touch,” and “Begin the Begin”
-- I consider this to be one of R.E.M.’s best records and it is in my top 3 personal favorites of the band. 

Album:  Document
Favorite Song:  “Disturbance at the Heron House”
Honorable Mentions:  “Exhuming McCarthy,” “Finest Worksong,” “Strange,” “King of Birds,” “The One I Love,” and “It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)”
-- This is another one that I consider one of the band’s best moments and a personal favorite.  

Album:  Green
Favorite Song:  “Pop Song 89”
Honorable Mentions:  “You are the Everything,” “Stand,” “Get Up,” and “Turn You Inside-Out”

Album:  Out of Time
Favorite Song:  “Belong”
Honorable Mentions:  “Me In Honey,” “Country Feedback,” “Near Wild Heaven,” and “Texarkana”
-- This is my favorite R.E.M. record and one of their best.  “Belong” is probably my favorite R.E.M. song of all time but trying to narrow down the honorable mentions was nearly impossible since this record really does not have a bad song on it. 

Album:  Automatic for the People
Favorite Song:  “Nightswimming”
Honorable Mentions:  “Ignoreland,” “Drive,” “Man on the Moon,” and “Everybody Hurts”

Album:  Monster
Favorite Song:  “Star 69”
Honorable Mentions:  “Strange Currencies” and “What’s the Frequency Kenneth?”

Album:  New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Favorite Song:  “Departure” 
-- I honestly don’t know this record very well. 

No comments: