Sunday, September 25, 2011

Album Review: Trips


Samiam is a melodic post-hardcore / pop punk band in the vein of Jawbreaker, Seaweed, Gameface, and Hot Water Music.  Hailing from Berkeley, CA the band has been around since the late ‘80s but Trips is their first album in over five years and third for Hopeless Records.  On top of that, Trips is probably one of the best records of the year. 

The record opens with the incredibly catchy and hugely anthematic “80 West” (which is one of the best songs that I’ve heard this year).  “Clean Up the Messes” and “September Holiday” continue with the high energy up-beat pace while “Demon” takes a mid-tempo melodic turn.  The rest of the album fluctuates from high energy catchy numbers to mid-tempo melodic numbers, all of which are great.  The album closes with the ballad “Happy for You.”  Thematically the record deals with the typical issues of the genre (emotions, relationships, etc.) but without a lyric sheet I haven’t been able to single out what each song is specifically about.  I am planning on getting Trips on CD at some point in the near future and am looking forward to following along with the lyric sheet and diving into the liner notes.  

I some how missed getting into Samiam in the ‘90s.  I think at some point I may have had their self-titled debut on cassette but honestly can’t remember for sure.  That having been said, I have liked everything of theirs that I’ve heard over the years (various songs here and there on YouTube) and LOVE this record, so I suspect that I’ll be getting the rest of their catalog in the near future. 

If you are a fan of band like Jawbreaker, Seaweed, Red City Radio, Hot Water Music, or Gameface then I HIGHLY suggest you check out Samiam’s Trips.   

No comments: