Wednesday, August 10, 2011

EP Review: I Do

Title:  I Do (BandCamp)
Artist:  Defining Times (Facebook, BandCamp)

Defining Time play that kind of indie folk that seems to be all the rage these days (see Fleet Foxes, Other Lives, Bon Iver).  The songs are slow to mid-tempo with layers of guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums with, at times, hauntingly falsetto lead vocals. 

I Do opens with the short “Limelight,” which reminds me of Rilo Kiley, mostly because of the opening notes of the song.  California” is a catchy song that is the most traditional indie rock number on the five-song EP.  “My Own Kind” starts simply with acoustic guitar and vocals adding keyboards and harmonies to the sparse mix before ending with the full band joining in.  I’m not sure why but this song brought to mind walking on a quiet beach underneath a cloudy sky, right before a storm.  “Crazy” is another slow and sparse tune.  The EP ends with “Learn to Pretend,” a song that I could see being used in many movie/TV dramas because it does a great job of building tension only to be released with a soft crescendo. 

I Do is Defining Times debut release and something that I could really see catching on with the modern indie scene.  If you are a fan of that brand of indie folk that has been made famous by the like of Fleet Foxes and Other Lives then you should definitely check out Defining Times. 

No comments: