Thursday, May 12, 2011

New to Me: My Best Friend Is You

Title:  My Best Friend Is You (Amazon, iTunes, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

I completely missed this one when it came out last year.  In fact I missed the Kate Nash boat all together until I saw this interview with her recently on Drowned in Sound.  I hoped over to YouTube and checked out some of her videos and was quite impressed with what I heard so I asked the nice folks at Guestroom to order her two CDs for me and picked up My Best Friend Is You last Friday.  And all I can say is wow. 


My Best Friend Is You is a fantastic pop record that mixes elements of doo-wop, dance, and indie pop behind Nash’s luscious British voice.  The album opens with exceptionally catchy “Paris” which is followed by the equally catchy “Kiss That Grrrl,” both of which set the mood for the album.  The albums first single, “Do-Wah-Doo” is a brilliant take on 50s doo-wop filled with lush harmonies.  There are a few moments on this CD that don’t work – “I Just Love You More” and “Mansion Song” come to mind – but those don’t take away from the rest of the record. 

Great for fans of Lily Allen and The Pipettes.

No comments: