Friday, May 27, 2011

EP Review: Come Out

Title:  Come Out (BandCamp, SoundCloud)
Artist:  Judas Booth (Official, BandCamp, MySpace)

Judas Booth is an electronic/industrial project that is based in New York City.  Come Out, a five song EP, is the act’s latest release and available to download for free (see links above).  I’m not a big fan of electronic or industrial music.  In fact my knowledge of these genres is fairly limited to stuff released in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s by the likes of KMFDM, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, and Nine Inch Nails, so I feel fairly unqualified in providing an opinion on this EP.  The production and recording are all of a very high quality and the instruments are well played, but I just don’t like it.  This isn’t my thing, but that’s not to say that it’s not good.  If you are a fan of electronic and industrial music then I’d suggest giving Come Out a listen.  Be warned though (in case this type of thing bothers you), it is very bad-word heavy.   

Amended Review 5/29 –

The opening track “Chopped and Screwed” starts out with a distorted voice talking about the “perverse society” and then moves into a dance beat with a chorus that includes some guttural vocals. I’ve tried to discern the lyrics to the song but have had little success (other than the reoccurring use of the phrase “fuck buddy”). There is no real break between this and the second track “Hypnosis Murderer” which is a faster and shorter track that includes the repeated refrain “aren’t you sick of you.” “Used As A Verb” is the third and strongest track on the EP with a strong and catchy beat and a good hook in the chorus. “Pretty Deadly” really reminds me of KMFDM with a extremely fast and catchy verse, but the chorus returns to the death metal-esque guttural vocals. Come Out closes with “The Big Chill,” the slowest number on the EP. For some reason this song really reminded me of ‘80s new wave acts like the Human League.

I must admit that the EP grew on me with subsequent listens and that this has been a good exercise for future reviews.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
You don't have to voice your personal opinion of the music, this is a review. Talk about the lyrics, the artist, give me some idea as to what this CD is about; don't tell me 'I don't like it'.

Dave said...

Fair enough. I did talk about the artist (as much as I was able to find without revealing the individual's real name since I wasn't sure if he would have been okay with that or not).

My reviewing style comes from years of writing for and reading punk zines. These reviews tend to be short and to the point, but I can see where I should look into expanding how I present them a bit. I'll give this another listen and provide and amendment to the original review. How's that?

Dave said...

And the amended review has been posted.