Sunday, May 01, 2011

Blast from the Past: Liveage

Title:  Liveage (Amazon, Wikipedia)

I first heard the Descendents when their song “Weinerschnitzel” was used in the 1990 film Pump Up the Volume.  I loved the tune and someone then gave me a tape that had Liveage on one side and the Sex Pistols’ Never Mind the Bollocks Here’s the Sex Pistols on the other.  I immediately fell in love with the Descendents incredibly catchy music.  Songs like “Silly Girl,” “Coolidge,” “Hope,” and “Clean Sheets” blew me away.  Here were these ridiculously catchy pop songs, that by all rights should have been huge hits, coming out of this nerdy punk band.  Needless to say I was amazed.  Since then I went on to become a gigantic fan of this band’s material (as both the Descendents and ALL) and have gotten my hands on just about everything that I can find that they have released.   

Liveage stands out to me, not only as my introduction to this band but also as the perfect example of what a live album should be.  The band sounds great, the crowd is responding well, and in many cases these performances are better than the original album versions.  The record also feels like a live show, which adds to its greatness.  My only complaints are that it is completely lacking of liner notes and that some songs are missing.  Thankfully many of those missing songs and some excellent liner notes were included in the follow up live album Hallraker: Live!

This CD is a must for any diehard Descendents fan. 

No comments: