Saturday, May 07, 2011

Blast from the Past: The Dance

Title:  The Dance (Amazon, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)
Artist:  Fleetwood Mac (Official, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

There have been many incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, but the only one that most people care about is the lineup that created Rumors.  That is the lineup that reunited in 1993 to play for President Clinton’s inauguration and that is the lineup that reunited again in 1997 to record the live album (and video) The Dance.  Beyond knowing a smattering of the band’s songs from the radio (“Hold Me” is one that I remember from when I was a kid but interestingly was not included here), The Dance was my first real introduction to Fleetwood Mac. 

The Dance includes nearly all of Fleetwood Mac’s classics including “Don’t Stop,” “Go Your Own Way,” a heart wrenching performance of “Silver Spring,” and what I think is the best version of “Landslide” ever recorded.  It also includes a few new songs, my favorite being “Temporary One.”  The DVD includes six songs that are not on the CD including “Gypsy” and “Songbird.”  Overall I actually prefer the DVD since it captures the entire concert (including a few shots of one Courtney Love dancing and clapping giddily in the audience) but even still I think that The Dance is one of the best live albums ever recorded.    

And if anyone is wondering why I decided to dust off this CD, I got the idea after watching this week’s episode of Glee.

No comments: