Friday, April 22, 2011

The Top 10 Pop Punk Albums of All Time?

Thomas Nassiff has put together a list of The Top 10 Pop-Punk Albums of All Time as interpreted by Thomas Nassiff.  My initial reaction to the list was “WTF?!?  This is a terrible list!”  The more I think about it though I think that this list just shows the tastes of someone who has probably never bothered to learn the history of pop punk beyond Green Day.  And to be fair I suspect that Mr. Nassiff is young, probably in his early 20s so he may not have had a chance to learn the history and amazing bands that laid the foundation for those he has listed.  That having been said though, when I first got involved in underground music, I did my homework.  I read up on bands, poured over album liner notes, got mail order catalogues, and read through books on the history of rock ‘n’ roll.  I did all of that without the internet.  So what is his excuse?

Someone in the comments of the post stated that he should have called this list My Favorite Pop Punk Albums of All Time, to which he responded that he did by inserting “as interpreted” in the title.  I guess he has a point, but seeing as he is working as a writer I would hope that he would understand the drastic difference between those two titles.  If I was to list my personal favorite pop punk records of all time it would be a different list than if I listed what I saw as the greatest records of the genre.  But then again I may just be parsing words here. 

So what do I think are the greatest and most important pop punk records of all time?  Great question.  I’m going to do my best to come up with this list off the top of my head and with a little bit of internet searching, but it is not an exhaustive list by any stretch of the means.  Also before I start the list, let me state that these are the albums that I think have been the most important to the genre and are not necessarily my personal favorites.  Also I have left out records by bands that aren’t actually pop punk, even though they have influenced pop punk (Bad Religion’s Suffer and pretty much anything by The Bouncing Souls comes to mind).
  1. Ramones by Ramones
  2. Milo Goes to College by Descendents
  3. My Brain Hurts by Screeching Weasel
  4. Allroy’s Revenge by ALL
  5. Dookie by Green Day
  6. Riverdales by Riverdales
  7. Love Songs for the Retarded by The Queers
  8. Love is Dead by The Mr. T Experience
  9. Punk in Drublic by NOFX
  10. They Came from the Shadows by Teenage Bottlerocket *
* I couldn’t let the entire list consist of albums from the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s now could I? 

*Update 4/23 10:04 AM* After sleeping on it I realized that I left Jawreaker’s 24 Hour Revenge Therapy off the list (one could also make the case that Dear You belongs on the list as well).

I also purposefully avoided including any of the bands that mix pop punk with emo (like Alkaline Trio, New Found Glory, Jimmy Eat World, etc.). I forgot to mention that last night.

And on a related note, check out my post The Greatest Pop Punk Bands That Didn’t Get Their Due.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I added an update to this post for those interested. :o)