Monday, April 25, 2011

New to Me: Ripped Up Jeans and Silly Dreams

Title:  Ripped Up Jeans and Silly Dreams (BandCamp, If You Make It)
Artist:  Candy Hearts (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, BandCamp)

As I mentioned in my recent Great Band Alert post, the Candy Hearts is an excellent indie rock / pop punk and Ripped Up Jeans and Silly Dreams is an extremely solid debut album.  The album was released last March and I’m honestly sad that I haven’t heard it until now.  The album starts out with the extremely catchy “What I Want” and is followed by the equally catchy and fun “Blocking the Sunshine.”  Those two songs pretty much set the mood for the entire record.  There are some slower moments but they in no way detract from the record.  In fact I think that it is those moment that prove that Candy Hearts are more than your average female-fronted pop punk band, because there’s a lot more going on here than that. 

Ripped Up Jeans and Silly Dreams truly sounds like something that could have come out in the glory days of the ‘90s indie scene along side the likes of The Blake Babies, The Lemonheads, and The Muffs.  In fact it is The Muffs that Candy Hearts really remind me of, which could be do to the vocal similarities but I think it has more to do with the fact that these are bands that know how to write great pop songs.  I think that is also why I keep thinking of The Thermals as well.  In fact if The Muffs and The Thermals had a kid, it would probably be the Candy Hearts. 

If you are a fan of any of the aforementioned bands, the do yourself a favor and check out the Candy Hearts! 

No comments: