Monday, April 25, 2011

I Get the Feeling that I Really Should Like Fleet Foxes But…

I just can’t get into them.  NPR is streaming their new record and I tried to listen to it but it really did nothing for me.  It’s not like I have a thing against folk music, because I don’t.  I’ve gotten a lot of folk type stuff this year and have enjoyed it (in fact I’m a HUGE Chuck Ragan fan) but there’s something about Fleet Foxes that I just can’t get.  What am I missing? 

Interestingly, while going through the NPR Music posts in my Google Reader I came across this story about Eliza Doolittle and decided to check out some of her videos on YouTube and was very impressed with what I heard.  She has a sultry voice and great pop sensibilities.  She kind of reminds me of a more soulful Lily Allen.  I’m definitely going to have to get some of her stuff. 

I just found it kind of interesting that it was the pop artist that I really liked and the alt country/folk artist that I didn’t like.  Weird. 

Here is an Eliza Doolittle video and a Fleet Foxes video.  Which do you prefer?



No comments: