Saturday, April 30, 2011

CD Spotlight: The Rebirth of Venus

Title:  The Rebirth of Venus (Amazon, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

I first heard Ben Lee in 1995 when his debut solo album, Grandpaw Would was released (he was 16 at the time).  After that I lost track of Mr. Lee until a little over a year ago when I started checking out some of his videos on YouTube.  I like what I saw/heard and proceeded to track down as many of his CDs as I could get my hands on. 


The Rebirth of Venus is Lee’s most recent release and one of his best (I would say that it and Awake is the New Sleep are his best albums).  The record opens with the incredibly catchy and uplifting “What’s So Bad (About Feeling Good)?” before jumping right into the sing-a-long of “Surrender.”  The album continues with uplifting and catchy pop songs that by all rights should have been big hits.  Highlights include the amazing “I Love Pop Music,” “Yoko Ono,” “Song for the Divine Mother of the Universe,” and the two aforementioned songs.  


If you are a fan of acoustic based pop music, the Ben Lee is for you.  There are plenty of his videos on YouTube to check out before getting his CDs, but you should just get some of them anyway because they really are worth the money.

No comments: