Wednesday, April 27, 2011

CD Spotlight: Gold Country

Title:  Gold Country (Amazon, AllMusic, Wikipedia)
Artist:  Chuck Ragan (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

Best known for his time in the seminal post hardcore band Hot Water Music, Chuck Ragan has become a genuine country singer/songwriter (okay, technically it’s alt country but let’s not parse words here).  His debut solo album Feast or Famine was good but his sophomore record Gold Country is exceptional.  This CD has had more of an affect on me than any other I’ve heard in 2011.  In fact there are a few songs herein that I’d like played at my funeral. 

For those who never heard Mr. Ragan, he has a raspy voice that can easily capture the softer moments of folk and country as it can the screaming rage of punk rock.  On top of that his lyrics have a soul searching depth that I can easily get lost in for hours on end.  And if that wasn’t enough, many of these songs will have your boots taping, hands clapping, and singing along at the top of your lungs.  Gold Country is truly a phenomenal album. 

I’d say more, but I think I’ll just include a couple of videos of some of the standout moments.  Enjoy.








No comments: