Tuesday, April 05, 2011

CD Review: Goodbye Lullaby


Title: Goodbye Lullaby (Amazon, iTunes, Wikipedia)
Artist: Avril Lavigne (Official, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, Last.fm, Wikipedia)

Lately I’ve been listening to two very different styles of music a lot – alt country (particularly the solo acoustic variety ala Chuck Ragan, Tim Barry, Mike Park, etc.) and straight-up pop music (Kelly Clarkson, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, etc.). I’m not ashamed to admit that I like a lot of pop music. I’m sure that there is a lot of it that I’d never have heard if it wasn’t for my kids, but hey if Dave Grohl can like ABBA, then I can certainly enjoy some of the aforementioned pop singers; which brings me to the new Avril Lavigne album...

Prior to getting this CD, the only song by Avril Lavigne that I knew was “Sk8er Boi” (which I thought was a cute little pop number). Then I heard her new song “What the Hell” (which I’ve already admitted to liking) and decided to give the entire CD a try. And the album is pretty much what I expected it to be – spunky, catchy pop music. Say or think what you want about her but Avril knows how to do her job and that job is putting out fun and straight forward pop tunes and she does it well. Granted there is nothing ground breaking or riveting on Goodbye Lullaby but that’s not what one should expect from a record like this. If you are a fan of modern pop music then I’d suggest giving this CD a try (if you have already downloaded it for free somewhere that is).

No comments: