Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blast from the Past: Bill

Title:  Bill (Amazon, AllMusic, Wikipedia)
Artist:  Tripping Daisy (Official, MySpace, Last.fm, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

Hailing from Dallas, TX, Tripping Daisy mixed elements of pop, punk, and psychedelic to create a sound that was indeed kind of trippy.  The band’s debut album Bill was described by AllMusic’s Andy Hinds as sounding “like Jane's Addiction's prankish little brother” and I have to admit that he’s right.  In fact that is probably the best way to describe this record, if not this band (but to be fair I stopped listening to Tripping Daisy after their second record so the comparison may only be fitting for their early work). 


Overall Bill is a descent record.  It’s not fantastic but it’s not terrible either.  There are good songs and some very forgettable songs, but luckily the good ones are good enough to make up for the not-so-good ones.  In fact some songs on this CD I would consider ‘90s classics.  You simply can’t go wrong with “Blown Away,” “One Through Four,” “Lost and Found,” or the extremely catchy “My Umbrella” (my personal favorite). 

Most people know of Tripping Daisy through their moderate hit “I Got a Girl” from their sophomore album I Am an Elastic Firecracker but to me they will always be the band that got kicked out of Wal-Mart in the video for “My Umbrella.”

No comments: