Sunday, April 17, 2011

10 Questions with John Moreland

John Moreland is a singer, songwriter hailing from Tulsa, OK.  In the past eight months he has released two full length albums and two EPs (you can read my reviews of them here, here, and here).  John plays a southern tinged type of rock ‘n’ roll that harkens back to everything from alt country bands like Drag the River, southern rock like ZZ Top, working class rock like John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen, and those hard to define punk bands like The Gaslight Anthem and Armchair Martin.  In other words, there is probably something here for everybody.  If you have never listened to any of Mr. Moreland’s work then I highly suggest you check out anything he has release because honestly it’s all great. 

This interview was conducted via Facebook on April 15-17, 2011. 

For more information on John Moreland and his music check him out on his Official website, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, BandCamp, Last.fm. 

Dave: In the last eight months, you have put out four different releases (two full length records and two EPs). Why so productive? (I don’t mean that to sound bad, I just couldn’t think of another way to word the question.)

John Moreland:  I write a lot of songs. And I guess I feel like your most recent release kind of represents you. It's what people who have never heard of you before look at to get an idea of who you are and what you're about. Things I Can't Control took so long to make/be released that by the time it came out, I didn't feel like it was an accurate representation anymore, and I had an overwhelming urge to put new stuff out as soon as I could. I'm much more comfortable with my newest record, Earthbound Blues, representing me for a while.

Dave: You worked with Stephen Egerton (ALL, Descendents) on Things I Can’t Control and also on his album The Seven Degrees of Stephen Egerton. What was it like working with him? Were you a fan of his music going into the project?


John: I listened to Descendents and ALL when I was a teenager. Stephen is a sweet dude, and recording with him was a lot of fun, and very educational. I feel like the style of production that he typically does and the style of production that I typically gravitate towards are extremely different, and I doubt I'll ever make another record that is that polished, but I've learned a ton of stuff from him that I know I'll apply to future recordings.

Dave: When did you first start writing and performing music?


John: I started writing songs when I was 10, and played my first show when I was 13 or 14.

Dave: What happened to the Black Gold Band?


John: It was a bad situation for me, and I just needed to quit.

Dave: You’ve been putting out your releases through the site BandCamp. Have you been looking for or approached by any record labels? Are there any labels that you’d like to work with?

John: I've been approached by one label that seemed pretty interested, and then suddenly stopped talking to me. I guess I'm looking for a label. I don't really know how to do that, but yeah, I'm trying to look for one.

Dave: What are your thoughts on the music scene in Oklahoma?


John: Lots of good music, lot of good venues. I feel like I've always kinda had trouble figuring out where I fit into it all, so it can be a little weird for me at times, but it's good.

Dave: Who are your favorite artists to play with? Where are your favorite places to play (both in and out of Oklahoma)?

John: My favorite place to play has always been the Conservatory. I don't think I have an out of state favorite.

Dave: This is a High Fidelity inspired question. What are your all-time Top 5 albums, bands, movies, TV shows, and boos/authors?
 
John: There's no way I can choose my top 5 albums, bands, books or authors. And I hardly ever watch movies. So here are my top 5 TV shows.

1. The Cosby Show
2. Dukes of Hazzard
3. Seinfeld
4. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
5. Sportscenter

Dave: What’s next?


John: Play shows.

Dave: Any final thoughts?

John: Nah.

2 comments:

Otter Limits said...

great interview. i'm going to copy it to TOL (The Otter Limits).

Anonymous said...

What happened with releasing the record thru Suburban Home?