Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weighing In: Week 1

Weight (3/21/11): 256.0 lbs

Weighing In is a new column that I’m going to be doing each Monday (okay I know that today is Tuesday but I wasn’t able to finish this yesterday because my daughter was home sick and I had to take her to the doctor) to track my progress in trying to lose weight and get into better shape.

Last week I went to the doctor because of persistent issues with lightheadedness, dizziness, and chest pains. My doctor ran a battery of tests and when I went back later in the week for the results he told me that I have an enlarged left atrial, high cholesterol (specifically the bad kind), and I’m borderline diabetic. The enlarged left atrial is caused by high blood pressure and the rest I’m pretty sure is because I’m a fatty. Before the test results came in, he said that my symptoms were in line with the signs of a nervous breakdown. In other words my body was slowly shutting down from stress. Needless to say this kind of freaked me out. Once we got the results, he put me on some blood pressure medicine and gave me the choice of taking something for the cholesterol or trying to get exercise and lose weight. I opted for the second option. When I asked if he still thought this was stress related he said that it was. So seeing as I’m a stressed out fatty I think that the best thing for me would be to start exercising, cutting back on my food intake, and overall just trying to lose weight. Since then I have been doing a walk/jog/run combo every morning around my neighborhood. Hopefully this will be a good starting point for me.

I decided to track my progress here on my blog for a couple of reasons: 1) I need to keep track of my progress and I will probably lose any paper that I use in that capacity and 2) I figure by making this a semi-public thing that it will help keep me motivated.

My plan is to weigh myself every Monday after my walk/jog/run and post the results here. Wish me luck.

No comments: