Sunday, March 20, 2011

CD Review: The People’s Key


Title: The People’s Key (Amazon, iTunes)
Artist: Bright Eyes (Official, Facebook, MySpace, Last.fm, Saddle Creek, AllMusic, Wikipedia)

Until The People’s Key, I’d listened to, nor planned on checking out, anything by Bright Eyes. Then while at a recent trip to Guestroom Records, one of the fantastic gentlemen behind the counter replied with The People’s Key when I asked if there was anything new out that was good and worth checking out. He went on to say that he was generally not a fan of Bright Eyes but he really liked this new CD. A few days later I was in Wal-Mart and I noticed that they had this CD on sale. What struck me about that was the fact that the album was released on Saddle Creek Records (Official, MySpace, YouTube, Wikipedia) which I thought was a pretty small label (but I was apparently wrong on that assumption because it appears that they have a distribution deal with either Warner Bros. or Sony). My curiosity took the better of me and I decided to pick up the record and give it a shot.

I’ve listened to this record off and on since getting it a few weeks ago and my impression that it is a good indie rock album. In a lot of ways this really reminded me of a male-fronted version of Rilo Kiley. I’m honestly not sure how much I’m going to listen to this CD going forward…not that it’s bad mind you but because my head is in a different place musically than this. Again though, this is a very good album.

No comments: