Saturday, February 05, 2011

It Doesn’t Get Much Sadder Than This

Fox News reported that President Obama misquoted the Bible at this year’s Prayer Breakfast, when in actuality he was quoting the NIV translation instead of the King James. I’m hoping that this is a case of shoty reporting and not intentional bias, but I’ll let you be the judge.

This section of the second story also stood out to me.
While we're on the subject, allow me to call your attention to this comment left on yesterday's story:
I doubt the public would accept a Wiccan, JW, Pentecostal or Mormon pres either. They might also say that a Unitarian or UCC candidate was too flaky. Might make Kumbaya the national anthem.
Take the analysis for what it's worth. I simply mean to point out the rich irony of a Tea Party nation potentially rejecting Unitarians, members of the United Church of Christ, or (though the comment doesn't mention them) non-believers, given the long tradition of presidents falling into one of those categories. You can't venerate the "traditional values" of the founding fathers without recognizing that their values were based in large part on certain religious beliefs that are no longer in fashion in conservative circles.

I think that it is safe to say that in this day and age, men like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, James Madison, and Abraham Lincoln would never be elected to any public office, let alone the presidency. And that is a sad and pathetic commentary on our society, in my humble opinion. Needless to say, I’ll never get elected to anything either.

I do find it ironic that Jefferson is often quoted by conservative Christians, yet he was in no way a conservative or a Christian. In fact the conservatives of his day hated him and swore that the devil would rule the country if he became president. At least we know that crazy talk hasn’t disappeared in the last 200 years.

No comments: